Rebecca M. Stumpf Phd
Professor of Anthropology
Center for African Studies
Social and sexual development
Primate behavioral endocrinology
Evolution of mating systems
Please go to my web-page (http://rstumpflab.weebly.com) and Stumpf Google scholar page for more information and updated publication list.
- 2004 Stony Brook University, NY Doctor of Philosophy, Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences
- 1998 Stony Brook University, NY Masters Degree, Anthropological Sciences
- 1990 Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH. Bachelors Degree
Distinctions / Awards
- 2016 University Scholar
- 2016-2017 Guggenheim Fellow
- 2016 Promoted to Full Professor with Distinction
- 2011 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Department of Anthropology
- 2010-2011 Irwin C. Gunsalus Scholar
- 2008-2009 Center for Advanced Study Fellowship
- 2005 Arnold O. Beckman Research Award
- 2004 Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching
- 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois
- 2004 President's Award for Outstanding Dissertation, SUNY - Stony Brook
- 2014-2017 NSF BCS Female Sociality, Dispersal, and Comparative Microbial Community Composition in wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). (PI) K. Langergraber (co-PI)
- 2009-2017 National Science Foundation Human Origins Moving in New Directions (HOMINID). “Microbes, diet, and hominin evolution: comparative and metagenomic approaches.” PI: S Leigh; Co-PIs: RM Stumpf, B White, K Nelson, A Salyers
- 2012-2014 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department. “Sexually transmitted diseases and African ape conservation.” PIs: J. Rushmore, S. Altizer, and R.M. Stumpf.
- 2011-2014 National Institute of Health. Wilson, BA, Stumpf, RM, Yildirim, S., "Dynamics of Normal Pigtailed Macaque Vaginal and Intestinal Microbiota," University of Washington subaward.
- 2013-2014 University of Illinois Research Board. PI. RM Stumpf “Sexual conflict in wild chimpanzees”
- 2009-2011 Leakey Foundation. “Social and Sexual Development in Adolescent Chimpanzees of Kanyawara.” PI
- 2010-2011 US Fish and Wildlife Department. “Close-contact pathogens, sexually transmitted diseases, and African ape conservation.” PIs: J Rushmore, S Altizer, and RM Stumpf
- 2008-2013 National Science Foundation. "Comparative Primate Microbial Ecology." PI: RM Stumpf, Co-PIs: A Salyers, S Leigh, B Wilson
- 2008-2011 Wenner Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research. "Female Social and Sexual Development in Wild Chimpanzees." PI
- 2008-2011 National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. “The Effects of Deforestation on Reproductive Fitness in Female Red Colobus (Piliocolobus tephrosceles) in Kibale National Park, Uganda.” K Milich, RM Stumpf
- 2008-2009 University of Illinois, Inclusive Illinois. “Study of classroom climate in relation to issues of diversity.” J Keller, RM Stumpf and B Farnell
- 2008-2009 Center for Advanced Study Fellowship
- 2006-2007 Critical Research Initiatives Grant. "Evolutionary Medicine and Women’s Sexual Health." Co-PI
- 1998-2001 National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. "Reproductive Strategies of Female West African Chimpanzees."
- Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. Christina J. Campbell, Agustin Fuentes, Katherine C. MacKinnon, Simon K. Bearder, and Rebecca M. Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Chimpanzees and bonobos: Inter- and intra-species diversity." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes ellioti)." All the World’s Primates. Ed. N Rowe. Charlestown: Pogonias Press Inc., 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Western chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus)." All the World’s Primates. Ed. N Rowe. Charlestown: Pogonias Press Inc., 2011.
- Campbell, CJ, A Fuentes, SK Bearder, KC MacKinnon, and RM Stumpf. "The future of primate research." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Campbell, CJ, MC Crofoot, KC MacKinnon, and RM Stumpf. "Behavioral data collection for primate field studies." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Chimpanzees and Bonobos: Diversity within and between species." Primates in Perspective. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, M Panger, and SK Bearder. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Stumpf, RM, JD Polk, JF Oates, WL Jungers, CP Heesy, CP Groves, and JG Fleagle. "Patterns of diversity in gorilla cranial morphology." Gorilla Biology: A Multidisciplinary Perspective. Ed. AB Taylor and ML Goldsmith. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 35-61.
- "Please go to my web-page (http://rstumpflab.weebly.com) and." Stumpf Google scholar " page or Research Gate for more information and updated publication list. (2016):
Works in Progress
- Diet drives specific taxa, while phylogeny acts more broadly in vervets fed a western diet (submitted). CJ. Yeoman, G Cerda, AJ Jasinska, J Danzy Cramer, ME Berg Miller, A Gomez, M Torralba, M Gillis, T Turner, BA Wilson, RM Stumpf, KE Nelson, SR Leigh, BA White