Rebecca M. Stumpf Phd
- Biological Anthropology
- Ape Social Behavior and Endocrinology
- Sexual Selection
- Adolescent Development
- Comparative Sexuality and Reproduction
- Evolution of mating systems
- Microbe-host interactions
- The Role of Microbes on Preterm Birth
- Evolutionary mechanisms
- Primate evolution
- 2004 State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY Doctor of Philosophy, Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences
- 1998 State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY Masters Degree, Anthropological Sciences
- 1990 Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH. Bachelors Degree
- 2011 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Department of Anthropology
- 2010-2011 Irwin C. Gunsalus Scholar
- 2008-2009 Center for Advanced Study Fellowship
- 2005 Arnold O. Beckman Research Award
- 2004 Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching
- 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois
- 2004 President's Award for Outstanding Dissertation, SUNY - Stony Brook
2010-2011 US Fish and Wildlife Department. “Close-contact pathogens, sexually transmitted diseases, and African ape conservation.” PIs: J Rushmore, S Altizer, and RM Stumpf
2009-2011 Leakey Foundation. “Social and Sexual Development in Adolescent Chimpanzees of Kanyawara.” PI
2009-2013 National Science Foundation Human Origins Moving in New Directions (HOMINID). “Microbes, diet, and hominin evolution: comparative and metagenomic approaches.” PI: S Leigh; Co-PIs: RM Stumpf, B White, K Nelson, A Salyers
2008-2011 Wenner Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research. "Female Social and Sexual Development in Wild Chimpanzees." PI
2008-2011 National Science Foundation. “Vaginal Microbial Diversity in Primates” PI
2008-2010 National Science Foundation. "Comparative Primate Microbial Ecology." PI: RM Stumpf, Co-PIs: A Salyers, S Leigh, B Wilson
- 2008-2011 National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. “The Effects of Deforestation on Reproductive Fitness in Female Red Colobus (Piliocolobus tephrosceles) in Kibale National Park, Uganda.” K Milich, RM Stumpf
2008-2009 University of Illinois, Inclusive Illinois. “Study of classroom climate in relation to issues of diversity.” J Keller, RM Stumpf and B Farnell
- 2006-2007 Critical Research Initiatives Grant. "Evolutionary Medicine and Women’s Sexual Health." Co-PI
1998-2001 National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. "Reproductive Strategies of Female West African Chimpanzees."
2008-2009 Center for Advanced Study Fellowship
- ANTH 102: Human Origins and Culture
- ANTH 143/HDFS 143: Biology of Human Behavior
- ANTH 243: The Natural History and Social Behavior of the Great Apes
- ANTH 258/GWS 258: Sex in Nature and Culture
- ANTH 343: The Biology and Behavior of Women
- ANTH 443/IB 428: Primate Form and Behavior
- ANTH 437: Primate Behavioral Endocrinology
- ANTH 515RS: Graduate Seminar - Sexual Selection
- ANTH 515RS: Graduate Seminar - Primate Field Methods
- ANTH 515RS: Graduate Seminar - The Evolution of Human Sexuality and Behavior
Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. Christina J. Campbell, Agustin Fuentes, Katherine C. MacKinnon, Simon K. Bearder, and Rebecca M. Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Chimpanzees and bonobos: Inter- and intra-species diversity." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes ellioti)." All the World’s Primates. Ed. N Rowe. Charlestown: Pogonias Press Inc., 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Western chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus)." All the World’s Primates. Ed. N Rowe. Charlestown: Pogonias Press Inc., 2011.
- Campbell, CJ, A Fuentes, SK Bearder, KC MacKinnon, and RM Stumpf. "The future of primate research." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Campbell, CJ, MC Crofoot, KC MacKinnon, and RM Stumpf. "Behavioral data collection for primate field studies." Primates in Perspective, 2nd Edition. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, SK Bearder, and RM Stumpf. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Stumpf, RM. "Chimpanzees and Bonobos: Diversity within and between species." Primates in Perspective. Ed. CJ Campbell, A Fuentes, KC MacKinnon, M Panger, and SK Bearder. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Stumpf, RM, JD Polk, JF Oates, WL Jungers, CP Heesy, CP Groves, and JG Fleagle. "Patterns of diversity in gorilla cranial morphology." Gorilla Biology: A Multidisciplinary Perspective. Ed. AB Taylor and ML Goldsmith. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 35-61.
- Amato, K, C Yeoman, A Kent, N Righini, F Carbonero, A Estrada, H R. Gaskins, R M. Stumpf, S Yildirim, M Torralba, M Gillis, B A. Wilson, K E. Nelson, B A. White, and S R. Leigh. "Habitat Degradation Impacts Black Howler Monkey (Alouatta pigra) Gastrointestinal Microbiomes." International Journal of Microbial Ecology (2013):
- Rushmore , J, D Caillaud , L Matamba , R M. Stumpf, S P. Borgatti , and S Altizer . "Social Network Analysis of Wild Chimpanzees Provides Insights for Predicting Infectious Disease Risk." Journal of Animal Ecology. (2013):
- Yeoman , C J., S M. Thomas, M E. Berg Miller, A V. Ulanov, M Torralba, S Lucas, M Gillis, M Cregger, A Gomez, M Ho, S R. Leigh, R M. Stumpf, D J. Creedon, M A. Smith, J S. Weisbaum, K E. Nelson, B A. Wilson, and B A. White. "A Multi-Omic Systems-based Approach Reveals Metabolic Markers of Bacterial Vaginosis and Insight into the Disease." PLoS One 8.2 (2013):
- Yeoman, CJ, ME Berg Miller, SM Thomas, M Torralba, S Lucas, M Gillis, A Gomez, M Ho, SR Leigh, RM Stumpf, DJ Creedon, MA Smith, JS Weisbaum, KE Nelson, BA Wilson, and BA White. "Biogeographical Distributions of Taxa in the Vaginal Microbiome and Site-Specific Changes Associated with Bacterial Vaginosis." Under revision (2013):
- Yildirim, S, SR Leigh, BA White, BA Wilson, and RM Stumpf. "Comparative Primate Vaginal Microbial Diversity." Under review (2013):
- Stumpf, RM, BA Wilson, A Rivera, S Yildirim, C Yeoman, JD Polk, B White, and S Leigh. "The Primate Vaginal Microbiome: Comparative Context and Implications for Human Health and Disease." Yearbook of Physical Anthropology (2013):
- Stumpf, RM, R Martinez-Moto, KM Milich, N Righini, and MR Shattuck. "Sexual conflict in primates." Evolutionary Anthropology 20 (2011): 62-75.
- Rivera, AJ, JA Frank, RM Stumpf, AA Salyers, BA Wilson, GJ Olsen, and SR Leigh. "Differences between the normal vaginal bacterial community of baboons and that of humans." American Journal of Primatology 73 (2011): 119–126.
- Yeoman, CJ, N Chia, S Yildirim, ME Berg Miller, A Kent, RM Stumpf, SR Leigh, KE Nelson, BA White, and BA Wilson. "Towards an Evolutionary Model of Animal-Associated Microbiomes." Entropy 13 (2011): 570-594.
- Yildirim, S, AJ Rivera, SR Leigh, CJ Yeoman, BA White, TL Goldberg, BA Wilson, and RM Stumpf. "Vaginal microbial community structure and maternal ecology in primates." American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 144 (2011): 315-316.
- Knott, CD, ME Thompson, RM Stumpf, and MH McIntyre. "Female reproductive strategies in orangutans, evidence for female choice and infanticide counterstrategies in a
species with frequent sexual coercion." Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277 (2010): 105-113.
- Rivera, AJ, RM Stumpf, BA Wilson, SR Leigh, and AA Salyers. "Baboon vaginal microbiota: an overlooked aspect of primate physiology." American Journal of Primatology 72 (2010): 467–474.
- Yeoman, CJ, S Yildirim, SM Thomas, AS Durkin, M Torralba, G Sutton, CJ Buhay, Y Ding, SP Dugan-Rocha, DM Muzny, X Qin, RA Gibbs, SR Leigh, RM Stumpf, BA White, SK Highlander, KE Nelson, and BA Wilson. "Comparative genomics of Gardnerella vaginalis strains reveals substantial differences in metabolic and virulence potential." PLoS ONE 10.1371 (2010): e12411.
- Yildirim, S, CJ Yeoman, M Sipos, M Torralba, BA Wilson, TL Goldberg, RM Stumpf, SR Leigh, BA White, and KE Nelson. "Characterization of the fecal microbiome from non-human wild primates reveals species specific microbial communities." PLoS ONE 5.11 (2010): e13963.
- Stumpf, R.M., and C. Boesch. "Male to female aggression and sexual coercion in wild West African chimpanzees." Animal Behavior 79.2 (2010): 333-342.
- Stumpf, RM, ME Thompson, MN Muller, and RW Wrangham. "The context of female dispersal in Kanyawara chimpanzees." Behaviour 146 (2009): 629-656.
- Jeters, RT, AJ Rivera, LM Boucek, RM Stumpf, SR Leigh, and AA Salyers. "Antibiotic resistance genes in the vaginal microbiota of primates not normally exposed to antibiotics." Microbial Drug Resistance 15.4 (2009): 309-315.
- Kim, TK, SM Thomas, M Ho, S Sharma, CI Reich, JA Frank, KM Yeater, DR Biggs, N Nakamura, RM Stumpf, SR Leigh, RI Tapping, SR Blanke, JM Slauch, HR Gaskins, JS Weisbaum, GJ Olsen, LL Hoyer, and BA Wilson. "Heterogeneity of vaginal microbial communities within individuals." Journal of Clinical Microbiology 47 (2009): 1181-1189.
- Knott, CD, ME Thompson, RM Stumpf, and MH McIntyre. "Orangutan female reproductive strategies." Proceedings of the Royal Society of Britain, Series B (2009):
- Stumpf, RM, ME Thompson, and CD Knott. "A comparison of female mating strategies in Pan troglodytes and Pongo spp." International Journal of Primatology 29 (2008): 865-884.
- Thompson, ME, RM Stumpf, and AE Pusey. "Female reproductive strategies and competition in apes." International Journal of Primatology 29 (2008): 815-821.
- Stumpf, RM, and C Boesch. "The efficacy of female choice in chimpanzees of the Taï Forest, Côte d'Ivoire." Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 60.6 (2006): 749-765.
- Stumpf, RM, and C Boesch. "Does promiscuous mating preclude female choice? Female sexual strategies and mate preference in chimpanzees of the Taï Forest, Côte d'Ivoire." Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 57 (2005): 511-524.
- Johnson, SE, AD Gordon, RM Stumpf, DJ Overdorff, and PC Wright. "Sexual dimorphism and testes size in Brown Lemurs (Eulemur albocollaris and E. fulvus rufus)." International Journal of Primatology 26.6 (2005): 1399-1416.
- Wyner, YM, SE Johnson, RM Stumpf, and R DeSalle. "A genetic assessment of a white-collared X red-fronted lemur hybrid zone at Andringitra, Madagascar." American Journal of Primatology 57.2 (2002): 51-66.
- Stumpf, RM. "Reproductive Strategies of Female Chimpanzees in the Taï Forest, Côte d’Ivoire." État des recherches en cours dans le Parc National de Taï. Ed. O Girardin, I Koné, and T Yao. Sempérvira 9 (2000): 45:53.
- Wyner, YM, R Absher, G Amato, E Sterling, RM Stumpf, Y Rumpler, and R DeSalle. "Species concepts and the determination of historic gene flow patterns in the Eulemur fulvus (Brown lemur) complex." Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 66.1 (1999): 39-56.
- Stumpf, RM. "Behavior." Rev. of Primate Sexuality: Comparative Studies of the Prosimians, Monkeys, Apes, and Humans. Second Edition. By Alan F. Dixson. Quarterly Review of Biology 88.3 (2013):
- Stumpf, R M. "Review of: The Chimpanzees of Bossou and Nimba." Rev. of The Chimpanzees of Bossou and Nimba. , ed. T Matsuzawa, T Humle, and Y Sugiyama. The Quarterly Review of Biology 87.276 (2012):
- Stumpf, RM. Rev. of Sexual Selection and the Origins of Human Mating Systems. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 144 (2011): 166-167.
- Stumpf, RM. Rev. of Is ape extinction our legacy? New atlas provides a comprehensive assessment of the Great Apes’ conservation status. American Journal of Primatology 69 (2007): 1-4.
Works in Progress