Dr. Jessica R Greenberg
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Associate Professor of Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
Associate Professor of LAS Global Studies
European Union Center
Center for Global Studies
Anthropology of democracy, postsocialism, youth movements, revolution, Serbia/Balkans, Europe
- B.A. in Women's and Gender Studies, Columbia University; 2002 M.A. in Anthropology, University of Chicago; 2007 PhD in Anthropology, University of Chicago
- After the Revolution: Youth, Democracy and the Politics of Disappointment in Serbia. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press, 2014.
- Greenberg, Jessica, and Andrea Muehlebach. "The Old World and its New Economy: Notes on the Third Age in Western Europe Today." Generations and Globalization. Ed. Jennifer Cole and Deborah Durham. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2007.
- "Gaming the System: Semiotic Indeterminacy and Political Circulation in the New Age of Revolution." Language & Communication 32.4 (2012): 372–385.
- "On the Road to Normal: Negotiating Agency and State Sovereignty in Postsocialist Serbia." American Anthropologist 113.1 (2011): 88-100.
- "There’s nothing anyone can do about it”: Participation, Apathy and “Successful” Democratic Transition in Postsocialist Serbia." Slavic Review 69.1 (2010): 41-64.
- "’Goodbye Serbian Kennedy:’ Zoran Đinđić and the New Democratic Masculinity." East European Politics and Societies 20.1 (2006): 126-151.
- "Nationalism, Masculinity and Multicultural Citizenship in Serbia." Nationalities Papers 34.3 (2006): 321-341.
- "Noć Reklamoždera: Democracy, Consumption, and the Contradictions of Representation in Post-Socialist Serbia." Political and Legal Anthropology Review 29.2 (2006): 181-207.