Dr. Helaine Silverman
- PhD, Anthropology, University of Texas at Austin
- MA, Anthropology, Columbia University
- BA, Anthropology, Queens College of the City University of New York
- Visiting Research Fellow, Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage, University of Birmingham, UK, 2013-2016
- ICOMOS International (International Council on Monuments and Sites)
- Expert Member, ICAHM (ICOMOS Scientific Committee on Archaeological Heritage Management)
- Expert Member, ICTC (ICOMOS Scientific Committee, International Cultural Tourism Committee)
- Founding Member, UNESCO Center for Global Citizenship
- Professor, Department of Anthropology
- Director, CHAMP/Collaborative for Cultural Heritage Management and Policy
- Faculty Member Affiliate: Center for Global Studies, European Union Center, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Department of Landscape Architecture, Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism
- Editor of the Left Coast Press book series, “Heritage, Tourism and Community”
- Co-editor of the Springer Press/ICAHM book series, “Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Archaeological Heritage Management”
- Editorial board, American Anthropologist
- Editorial board, International Journal of Heritage Studies
- Editorial board, Heritage and Society
- Editorial board, Boletín de Arqueología PUCP
- Editorial board, Turismo y Patrimonio
- Editorial board, Thema. Contemporary Thought and Debate on Museums, Societies and Cultures
- cultural heritage, cultural politics, cultural governance, cultural rights
- critical museum studies
- anthropology of tourism
- memory, identity, nationalism
- historic urban environments
- architecture and the built environment
- spatial theory
- anthropology of death
- encounters with the past as popular culture
- geographical areas: Peru, Southeast Asia, England
- Anth 557: Social Construction of Space
- Anth 462: Museum Theory and Practice
- Anth 460: Heritage Management
- Anth 420: Case Studies in Global Heritage
- Anth 224: Tourist Cities and Sites
- Anth 180: Anthropology and Archaeology of Death
- Anth 175: Archaeology and Popular Culture
- GLBL 298: Tourism and Economic Development in Peru
Encounters With Popular Pasts. Heritage and Popular Culture. Ed. Mike Robinson and Helaine Silverman. NY: Springer, 2015.
Cultural Heritage Politics in China. Ed. Tami Blumenfield and Helaine Silverman. NY: Springer, 2013.
Contested Cultural Heritage: Religion, Nationalism, Erasure and Exclusion in a Global World. Ed. Helaine Silverman. NY: Springer, 2011.
Intangible Heritage Embodied. Ed. D. Fairchild Ruggles and Helaine Silverman. NY: Springer, 2009.
Handbook of South American Archaeology. Ed. Helaine Silverman and William H. Isbell. NY: Springer, 2008.
Cultural Heritage and Human Rights. Ed. Helaine Silverman and D. Fairchild Ruggles. NY: Springer, 2007.
Archaeological Site Museums in Latin America. Ed. Helaine Silverman. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2006.
Andean Archaeology III: North and South. Ed. William H. Isbell and Helaine Silverman. NY: Springer, 2006.
Anthropology and Humanism, volume 30, number 2, Themed issue: “Performance, Tourism and Ethnographic Practice: An Exploration of the Work of Edward M. Bruner” . Ed. Helaine Silverman. 2005.
Andean Archaeology, Blackwell Global Archaeology Series. Ed. Helaine Silverman. Oxford: Blackwell, 2004.
Andean Archaeology II: Art, Landscape, and Society. Ed. Helaine Silverman and William H. Isbell. NY: Plenum/Kluwer, 2002.
Andean Archaeology I: Variations in Sociopolitical Organization. Ed. William H. Isbell and Helaine Silverman. NY: Plenum/Kluwer, 2002.
- Silverman, Helaine. Ancient Nasca Settlement and Society. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2002.
- Silverman, Helaine, and Donald A. Proulx. The Nasca. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2002.
The Space and Place of Death. Ed. Helaine Silverman and David B. Small. Washington, D.C.: Archaeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, Number 11, 2002.
- Silverman, Helaine. Ancient Peruvian Art. An Annotated Bibliography. NY: G. K. Hall/Simon & Schuster Macmillan, 1996.
- Silverman, Helaine. Cahuachi in the Ancient Nasca World. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1993.