Jane Desmond is a Professor in Anthropology and Gender and Women's Studies, and Co-founder and current Director of the International Forum for U.S. Studies, a center in International Programs. Her primary areas of interest focus of issues of embodiment, display, and social identity, as well as the transnational dimensions of U.S. Studies. Her areas of expertise include performance studies, critical theory, visual culture( including museum studies and tourism studies), the critical analysis of the U.S. in global perspectives, and, most recently, the political economy of human/animal relations. She has previously worked as a modern dancer and choreographer, and in film, video, and the academy.
- Desmond, Jane C. Displaying Death/Animating Life: Embodyng Trans-species Relations between Animals and Humans. University of Chicago Press (Under Contract), 2011.
- Desmond, Jane C. Staging Tourism: Bodies on Display from Waikiki to Sea World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Can Animals Make Art?: Popular and Scientific Discourses About Expressivity and Cognition in Primates." Experiencing Animals: Encounters Between Animals and Human Minds. Ed. J. Smith and R. Mitchell. Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Animal Deaths and the Written Record of History: The Politics of Pet Obituaries." Making Animal Meaning. Michigan State University Press, 2012. 99-111.
- Desmond, Jane C. Dancing Desires: Choreographing Sexuality on and off the Stage. Madison: University of Madison Wisconsin Press, 2001.
- Desmond, Jane C. Meaning in Motion: New Cultural Studies of Dance. Duke University Press, 1997.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Ivy Halls and Ivy Walls: The Continuing Legacy of the Ivy League." American Studies of Korea, American Studies Institute, Seoul National University 34.1 (2011): 203-231.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Towards a Prismatic 'American Studies." Safundi: Journal of South African and American Studies (2007):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Transnational American Studies: Limits to Collaboration." American Studies International (2003):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Mapping American Studies Across National Boundaries." Hungarian Journal of American Studies (2002):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Picturing Hawai'i: The 'Ideal' Native and the Origins of Tourism (1880-1915).." Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 7.2 (1999):
- Desmond, Jane, and Jane C. Desmond. "Towards a Political Economy of American Studies: Reports from an Experiment in Process." Through the Looking Glass: American Studies in Transcultural Perspective, European Contributions to American Studies 40 (1999):