Christopher C. Fennell
Department of Anthropology
607 S Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-3616; cell (312) 513-2683
- Tues., 1-2pm; Wed., 10-11am; anytime by appointment
- "New Philadelphia: Racism, Community, and the Illinois Frontier," editor (with Terrance J. Martin and Paul A. Shackel) of a special thematic issue in "Historical Archaeology" journal, Vol. 44, No. 1: 1-157 (2010).
- "Manifestations of Magic: The Archaeology and Material Culture of Folk Religion," editor (with M. Chris Manning) of a special thematic issue of 12 articles in "Historical Archaeology" journal, Vol. 48, No. 3 (2014).
- Historical archaeology, African diaspora studies, Legal Anthropology
- Phd, University of Virginia, 2003.
JD, Georgetown University, 1989.
MA, University of Pennsylvania, 1986.
- Award for Distinguished Service 2012-2013, Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Gustave O. Arlt Award recipient, 2010, for outstanding contribution to scholarship in the humanities, awarded by the Council for Graduate Schools
- John L. Cotter Award recipient, 2009, for outstanding scholarly achievement in African diaspora studies, awarded by the Society for Historical Archaeology.
- University of Illinois, included in List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for seven courses; voted outstanding Anthropology Faculty member by the Undergraduate Anthropology Students Association.
- Archaeological and Historical Examination of a Nationalist Mythology of an Authentic Irish Past, 2013.
- Cultural Creativity, History & Heritage in Edgefield, South Carolina, 2013, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Humanities Council of South Carolina and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates, New Philadelphia Archaeology Project, 2008-2012
- Memory and Heart: Pasts and Presents of African American Communities, 2011, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Illinois Humanities Council, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Illinois General Assembly.
- New Philadelphia Archaeology and the Digital Archaeological Record, 2011, as Principal Investigator, awarded by the Digital Antiquity initiative.
- Community Informatics Initiative, Civic Engagement among Descendant and Local Communities of New Philadelphia, 2008-2009
- National Center for Preservation Training and Technology, Aerial Thermal Survey of New Philadelphia, 2008
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Faculty Fellowship, 2006-2007; among others
- Anthropology and Law; Social Norms and Law; Racism and Social Science; Landscape Archaeology; Archaeological Surveying; and Historical Archaeology, among others. Follow "Visit Website" link at right for syllabi
- I am a faculty affiliate member of the UIUC Center for African Studies, the Department of African American Studies, the College of Law, and the Department of Landscape Architecture. I also serve as Visiting Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School.
Revealing Landscapes. Comp. Christopher Fennell. Tucson: Society for Historical Archaeology, 2011.
African Diaspora Archaeology. Comp. Christopher Fennell. Tucson: Society for Historical Archaeology, 2008.
- Fennell, Christopher. Crossroads and Cosmologies: Diasporas and Ethnogenesis in the New World. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2007.
- Fennell, Christopher C. "Kongo and the Archaeology of Early African America." Kongo Across the Waters. Ed. Susan Cooksey, Robin Poynor, and Hein Vanhee. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 2013. 231-239.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Carved, Inscribed, and Resurgent: Cultural and Natural Terrains as Analytic Challenges." Revealing Landscapes. Ed. Christopher Fennell. Tucson: Society for Historical Archaeology, 2011. 1-11.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Examining Structural Racism in the Jim Crow Era of Illinois." The Materiality of Freedom: Archaeologies of Post-Emancipation Life. Ed. Jodi Barnes. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2011. 173-189.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Combating Attempts of Elision: African American Accomplishments at New Philadelphia, Illinois." Intangible Heritage Embodied. New York: Springer, 2009. 147-168 .
- Fennell, Christopher. "African Diaspora Archaeology in Multiscalar and Multivariate Perspectives." African Diaspora Archaeology. Ed. Christopher Fennell. Tucson: Society for Historical Archaeology, 2008. 1-25.
- Fennell, Christopher . "BaKongo Identity and Symbolic Expression in the Americas." The Archaeology of Atlantic Africa and the African Diaspora. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2007. 210-50.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Introductory Statement." Journal of African Diaspora Archaeology and Heritage 1.1 (2012): 5-8.
- Fennell, Christopher, and Kathryn Fay. "Paradoxes in Designs for a National Historic Landmark's Presentation." Museums & Social Issues 7.2 (2012): 323-340.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Early African America: Archaeological Studies of Significance and Diversity." Journal of Archaeological Research 19.1 (2011): 1-49.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Literate Inversions and Cultural Metaphors in Edgefield Stoneware." Historical Archaeology 45.2 (2011): 156-162.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Damaging Detours: Routes, Racism and New Philadelphia." Historical Archaeology 44.1 (2010): 138-154.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Excavating Strata of Memory and Forgetting." SAA Archaeological Record 8.1 (2008): 17-21.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Group Identity, Individual Creativity and Symbolic Generation in a BaKongo Diaspora." International Journal of Historical Archaeology 7.1 (2003): 1-31.
- Fennell, Christopher, and Lee A. Fennell. "Fear and Greed in Tax Policy: A Qualitative Research Agenda." Washington University Journal of Law and Policy 13 (2003): 75-138 .
- Fennell, Christopher. "Molded Malevolence: Instrumental Symbolism Rendered in Clay." Ceramics in America 3 (2003): 270-273.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Assessing Criticisms of Faunal Analyses and Environmental Reconstructions in the Tehuacan Valley Project." Human Ecology: An Interdisciplinary Journal 29.3 (2001): 349-359.
- Fennell, Christopher. "Conjuring Boundaries: Inferring Past Identities from Religious Artifacts." International Journal of Historical Archaeology 4.4 (2000): 281-313.
- Fennell, Christopher. "African Diaspora Archaeology." Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology. New York: Springer Press, 2012.
- Fennell, Christopher. "African Diaspora Archaeology Network." Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology. New York: Springer Press, 2012.
- "Grand Plans and Local Subversions: Social Networks and Defiance in Virginia and Illinois," book under advance contract with University Press of Florida.
- "Dexterous Creation: Material Manifestations of Instrumental Symbolism in the Americas," an invited chapter in a peer-reviewed, edited volume entitled "Materials, Meanings, and Modernities of Rituals in the Black Atlantic," edited by Akin Ogundiran and Paula Saunders, University Press of Indiana (in press, 2014).
- "Fighting Despair: Challenges of a Comparative, Global Framework for Slavery Studies," invited chapter in "The Archaeology of Slavery: Toward a Comparative, Global Framework," edited by Lydia Wilson Marshall, Center for Archaeological Investigations, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois (forthcoming).
- "Cultural Creativity, Rebellions, and Comparative Questions for Afro-Brazilian Archaeology," chapter accepted after peer review for an edited volume entitled "Archaeology of Slavery and African Life in Latin America," edited by Pedro Paulo A. Funari, Charles E. Orser, Jr., and Aline Vieira de Carvalho, Springer Press (forthcoming)
- "Artifacts to Invoke, Direct, and Deflect," article accepted after peer review as part of a thematic collection of twelve articles entitled "Manifestations of Magic: The Archaeology and Material Culture of Folk Religion," guest edited by C. C. Fennell and M. Chris Manning, for "Historical Archaeology" journal, Vol. 48, No. 3 (2014).